Muffins make a good snack for breakfast, lunch, and in between. What makes them great is when you leave out the excess sugar and go gluten-free. Try great today!
Did you ever think that muffins could be made without flour? You better believe it because I discovered a chocolate chip banana muffin recipe that is gluten-free and nothing short of decadent. As someone who has eliminated flour from most of my diet, I am always on the hunt for recipes that allow me to eat some of my favorite snacks (that taste even better than the classics) while still feeling good about what I am putting into my body. There are two things I look for when baking: gluten-free and no added sugar in the batter (put down the sugar). This eliminates empty calories, spiking your cholesterol, and potentially fueling a slew of diseases that put your health at risk. With a little experimentation in the kitchen and consciously choosing to use healthy alternate ingredients to the traditional ones in most recipes, you can enjoy your favorite guilty pleasures at a much healthier cost.
Flourless Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 flax eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1 dash organic vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- ½ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- ¼ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Miniature vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with extra virgin coconut oil
- Throw the ripe bananas into a large bowl and mash until smooth.
- Add the almond butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and maple syrup to the mashed bananas, and mix until blended.
- Add the salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder to the mixture and stir together, folding the batter over to ensure the mixture is as smooth as possible (the mixture should be thick but free of chunks).
- Ration out the batter among the muffin tins (make sure the batter is distributed evenly by shaking the tin left to right).
- Place the vegan chocolate chips on top of the batter in each tin (use as many as you wish; I recommend 4 max).
- Place in the oven and bake for 23 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for 15 minutes.