Meatballs are a versatile part of a meal. It can be done as a side dish or as part of the main dish, on pasta or rice. in a pita or a sandwich. However you want to use them, these Backyard BBQ Vegan Meatballs are sure to be a hit!
Backyard BBQ Vegan Meatballs
- 2 cups canned chickpeas
- 2 ½ tablespoons Sunwarrior Chia Seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Sunwarrior Sea Salt
- Preheat over to 425 and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
- Separate chickpeas from their liquid. Set liquid aside. Process chickpeas in a food processor.
- Mix chia seeds and water in medium-sized bowl. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until the seeds thicken into a gel.
- Combine chia egg, oats, tomato paste, basil, celery seed, red pepper flakes, and sea salt, and blend until well combined. Add a tablespoon or two of the chickpea liquid to make mixture moist.
- Form mixture into meatballs (12-18, depending on how big you want them) and place on greased baking sheet. Bake ten minutes, take out and turn meatballs over and then cook until golden (eight more minutes)
- Serve with pasta or rice , wrap them in a pita, or use them for a meatball sub.