Introducing a delectable and dairy-free delight: Vegan Smoked Almond Cheese! This recipe combines the rich and nutty flavors of almonds with the irresistible smokiness that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Whether you're a vegan, lactose intolerant, or simply seeking a healthier alternative, this creamy and tangy cheese is sure to satisfy your cravings.
With just a handful of ingredients and a little bit of patience, you can create a homemade cheese that's not only delicious but also packed with plant-based goodness. So, gather your almonds, prepare your taste buds, and let's dive into the world of vegan cheese-making with our delightful smoked almond creation.
Vegan Smoked Almond Cheese
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 tablespoons Sunwarrior Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon Sunwarrior Sea Salt
- ¼ cup water (adjust as needed for consistency)
- Optional toppings: smoked paprika, chopped smoked almonds, fresh herbs
- Place the soaked and drained almonds in a food processor or high-powered blender. Blend until they form a coarse meal-like texture.
- Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, minced garlic, smoked paprika, liquid smoke, and salt to the almond mixture. Blend again until well combined.
- Gradually add water, starting with 1/4 cup, and blend until you achieve a creamy and smooth consistency. You may need to scrape down the sides of the blender or processor and blend again to ensure everything is well mixed. Add more water if needed, but be careful not to make it too runny.
- Taste the mixture and adjust the seasonings to your liking. Add more salt, smoked paprika, or other herbs and spices if desired.
- Once you're satisfied with the flavor, transfer the mixture to a clean cheesecloth or nut milk bag. Gather the edges of the cloth and twist to form a ball, then secure it with a rubber band or kitchen twine.
- Place the wrapped cheese in a colander or strainer set over a bowl to catch any liquid that drips out. Leave it in the refrigerator to drain for at least 6-8 hours or overnight. The longer you let it drain, the firmer the cheese will become.
- After the cheese has finished draining, you can unwrap it and transfer it to a container or shape it into a log or round form. If desired, you can roll the cheese in smoked paprika, chopped smoked almonds, or fresh herbs for extra flavor and decoration.
- Refrigerate the cheese for a few more hours to allow it to firm up further. This will help it slice more easily.
- Serve your vegan smoked almond cheese on a cheese board with crackers, bread, or fresh vegetables. It's also great in sandwiches or as a topping for salads.
Enjoy your homemade vegan smoked almond cheese! And to see how it all looks on a vegan charcuterie board, click here!