Get ready for a delicious homemade crostini that makes the perfect party appetizer. Jason Wrobel, aka J-Wro, celebrity raw chef and TV host, takes butternut squash to a new level of gourmet, combining it with toasted gluten-free bread, coconut oil, shallots, and raw almond butter. A nutritious and delicious appetizer that's rich in protein and essential fatty acids. Top it with cultured vegetables, microgreens, or a sprig of your favorite fresh herb and then enjoy the flavor.
- 1 small butternut squash (or other winter squash/sweet potato)
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups shallot (or leeks/onions)
- 3/4 teaspoon Sunwarrior Sea Salt
- 3 tablespoons almond butter (or peanut/cashew butter)
- 1 vegan baguette, sliced diagonally
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing on baguette slices
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake squash on baking sheet 45 minutes or until tender. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté shallots with salt until tender and golden. Brush bread with olive oil and toast in oven. Scoop out 2½ cups squash. Blend squash with shallots in food processor until desired consistency. Spread over warm bread and serve. Makes about 20–30 crostinis.