When you're searching for a quick, easy, healthy dinner or lunch option, tacos almost always fit the bill. Vegan tacos can satisfy even the pickiest eater.
Tacos are a hot food trend and showing up on all kinds of restaurant menus as well as being ever so popular in food trucks and at street festivals. Chances are you’re hooked on the fast, fun, and easy-to-eat wraps we call tacos. If that’s the case, this make-your-own-approach just may become a favorite weekly go-to recipe.
The versatile, anything-goes aspects of tacos mean you can accommodate varied dietary approaches with ease and let your family and guests design their own taco creations to appease their palate. If you juggle the incessant demands of today’s fast pace like most do (including myself), most meals need to be assembled with ease and speed and still be yummy. This recipe takes advantage of commercial conveniences or allows you to tap into leftovers recreating last eve’s dinner into a whole new meal.
Teri’s Easy to Assemble Vegan Taco’s with Tempeh or Legumes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yield: Makes 4
Vegan, Soy and gluten-free
You can mix and match ingredients to suit your taste-buds and product availability, be they store-bought or home-made or a combination of both. Quantities can vary as desired. My favorite combinations is as below:
- 4 of your favorite 6 inch wraps – I love raw sundried tomato wraps or use your favorite whole foods organic wraps or large lettuce, kale, or collard leaves.
- 1 cup sundried tomato pesto or thick tomato sauce, salsa or red pepper puree
- 1 cup pre-cooked tempeh or tofu, or legumes of your choice such as pinto or Romano or black beans seasoned with your choice of – cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, or oregano.
- ½–1 teaspoon sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh cherry or roasted tomatoes, roughly
- 1 heaping cup slivered greens of your choice
- ½ cup pesto or salsa verde, guacamole or additional salsa, to finish
- Cayenne pepper or dried red chili peppers or Sirachi sauce or Kimchi for added flavor
- Lay wraps on a large cutting board and begin to layer ingredients – first spread sun-dried tomato pesto, sauce, or salsa evenly over each wrap.
- Top with remaining ingredients in desired amounts, finishing with dollops of pesto or salsa verde.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Fold in half to form a taco and enjoy.