Need a delicious, vegan burger recipe for the barbeque this weekend? Teri Gentes has you covered with this chickpea burger and lemon garlic sauce.
This burger delivers amazing flavor and nutrition. You won’t have any complaints with this one! This recipe is vegan, and gluten, soy, and nut-free.
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
Yield: 8 patties
Sunbutter Chickpea Burgers with Lemon Garlic Sauce
- 1 medium onion cut in half (approximately 2/3 cup)
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic or 1 generous teaspoon
- 1 cup parsley or cilantro, or a combo of both
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin, to taste
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- ½ to 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, to taste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne if desired
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons garbanzo flour (aka chickpeas) or oat flour or hemp seeds
- ¼ cup organic sunbutter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15 oz can, bpa free)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, chopped slightly
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Brush a little grapeseed, sesame, or olive oil onto a stoneware baking sheet or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add onion, garlic, parsley, and spices to a food processor and process to a rough chop.
- Add in lemon juice, sunbutter, olive oil, and chickpeas. Process until blended yet still a little chunky. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired then pulse or stir in chickpea flour.
- Roll the mixture into 8 evenly sized balls then gently flatten into patties. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds, gently pressing to adhere.
- Bake 30 minutes, flipping once after 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your lemon garlic sauce.
Lemon Garlic Sunbutter Sauce:
Great as a condiment for the burgers or use in wraps, tacos, as a dip, or salad dressing, etc.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Yield approx. 1¼ cups
- ½ cup organic Sunbutter
- 4 tablespoons hot water, more if needed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground cumin, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper and a sprinkle of paprika
In a food processor, blender, or a large jar with a tight fitting lid, add in all of the ingredients. Whirl or shake until well combined and a thick creamy consistency forms. Taste and adjust seasonings, and thin with additional water or lemon juice if needed.
Can be stored in a glass jar for up to 5 days.
Once the burgers are baked, use patties in an Ezekiel sprouted grain bun, fill a pita, wrap or taco, top a salad, or enjoy with your favorite sautéed or roasted veggies. Drizzle generously with the Lemon Garlic Sunbutter sauce, sit down, and enjoy. These patties freeze well, so double the recipe to have some on hand for future use.
Join Our Newsletter
Did you enjoy this content? Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to receive new product announcements, special offers, tasty recipes, and tips for managing your health in all the best ways. All delivered personally and conveniently to your inbox!
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.