Eat dessert first! Especially when it actually offers health benefits and tastes like it doesn’t. We bring you Carrot Pineapple Layer Cake. You’re welcome.
Carrot Pineapple Layer Cake
- Cashew Cream (see the following recipe)
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil or sunflower oil
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple-cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup rice milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, canned crushed (and drained), or fresh
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups light spelt flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together the grapeseed oil, maple syrup, apple-cider vinegar, rice milk, and vanilla for about 2 minutes. Add the carrot, pineapple, and coconut, and stir until combined. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, and walnuts. Make a well in the center of these dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well. Stir gently until all the ingredients are combined thoroughly.
4) Scoop the mixture into two 9-inch round pans greased with grapeseed oil and dusted with spelt flour.
5) Bake for 40 minutes. Poke a toothpick, fork, or skewer into the center of the cake to make sure it's done; the toothpick should come out clean.
6) Once cool, run a knife around the inside edge of the pans to loosen the cake from the sides. Turn them onto plates.
7) Spread cashew cream on top of the bottom cake, add the top cake, and continue to spread the remaining cream over the top and sides.
8) Garnish with walnuts, chopped pineapple, or coconut flakes.
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 1 tablespoon honey (or vegan sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1 can coconut milk
In a blender, combine the coconut milk, cashews, coconut butter, honey, and vanilla bean powder. Blend until smooth.
Transfer the coconut cashew cream to a dish and allow it to set for 2 to 3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Benefits of Pineapple:
- Strong bones
- Blood clot reduction
- Anti-Inflammatory benefits
- Immune system support
- Eye health
- Regular digestion