Want a healthy, fun, and yummy snack for your kids? These quinoa patties are ready to deliver. And you’ll enjoy them too!
Coconut oil has been shown to a) have multiple health benefits, including helping protect brain and heart health, increase fat metabolism, stave off infection, etc., and b) taste great! These protein-packed patties get a boost of “gooiness” from a flax meal mixture as well as the use of coconut oil. Kids will gobble them up with pizza sauce for dunking!
Coconut-Carrot Quinoa Patties
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 18 to 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons flax meal, divided
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- Dash sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup grated carrot (about 2 carrots)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Optional: 2 ounces vegan cheese, shredded
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of the flax meal, the almond milk, and the apple cider vinegar. Let sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Place the quinoa, water, and a pinch of sea salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let cook for about 13 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet and cook the onion over low-medium for 10 minutes.
- Place the flax mixture, grated carrot, cooked onion, remaining 1 tablespoon flax meal, and cooked quinoa (fluff with a fork before adding) in a large bowl. Add the salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and cheese, if using. Stir to create a sticky thick batter.
- Form into patties and fry in coconut oil for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. You may need to add a little more flax meal. (You can also bake the patties on a cookie sheet or in muffin cups at 350°F for 10 minutes.)
- Serve with fresh marinara sauce.
Makes 3 servings
Join Our Newsletter
Did you enjoy this content? Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to receive new product announcements, special offers, tasty recipes, and tips for managing your health in all the best ways. All delivered personally and conveniently to your inbox!
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.