Get your Zen on with all the benefits of an infrared sauna! We’ve listed 5 of the ways an infrared sauna is for you!
Dating back over a thousand years, as huts were dug into the sides of hills or mountains emerged the “sauna.” The earliest saunas from Finland called savusauna (smoke sauna) have come a long way! The infrared sauna may not be “a traditional sauna” even in modern day society, but it is the latest trend that gives you some great benefits that shouldn’t be overlooked!
So, if you haven’t tried an infrared sauna, you may want to spend up to 30 minutes getting your Zen on and reaping some great benefits!
What Is an Infrared Sauna?
Simply put, an infrared sauna is a room heated to approximately 140F by infrared light. This type of heat requires no moisture or steam. Infrared technology enables the heat to penetrate your core from the inside out as you get your sweat on, allowing for a nicer experience, especially if you are not fond of a traditional sauna or steam room.
The Benefits of an Infrared Sauna
The benefits of an infrared sauna can be invigorating. Here are 5 of the best ones!
1. Detoxification. Sweating is an optimal way to rid your body of unwanted toxins. We carry hundreds of unwanted pollutants in our system daily. That's just life. Why not eliminate as much as we can? An infrared sauna penetrates our body deeper allowing for a more productive purge.
2. Stress Reduction. A great aid in reducing stress levels enabling some extra relaxation. The sauna can stimulate your brain releasing those happy neurons such as dopamine and serotonin. How? With your natural increase in body temperature. So, when you leave the sauna, you can feel more relaxed and stress-free. Did you know that many people from Finland still make important life decisions in a sauna? It's when they feel more comfortable and stress-free!
3. Muscle Recovery. Feeling sore and tight? Have a buildup of lactic acids after a heavy leg day? Infrared heat to the rescue. Infrared sauna helps penetrate muscles deeper because you are increasing your body temperature from the inside out. You have increased blood flow keeping your muscles fueled with oxygen, fatty acids, and glucose while minimizing lactic acid build up. It's a win-win situation.
(NOTE: Everyone loves supersetting. Why not superset your sauna session with a couple scoops of Classic Plus protein. Give your muscles the recovery they deserve. Find it here.)
4. Metabolic Increase. An infrared sauna increases your metabolism. It's like having a moderate workout without working out. You are burning off calories. You can burn an average of 350 (and up to 600) calories in a 30-minute session. Integrated with a healthy eating, and exercise plan, you may see a few body changes a little quicker.
5. Beautiful Skin. Not only are you sweating out numerous toxins that will improve the quality of your skin, but you are also stimulating blood flow, increased circulation, and the infrared wavelengths also stimulate collagen and elastin. Glowing, supple skin can be in your future. Not too bad for a 30-minute infrared session. You can continue to increase the ongoing quality of your health both mentally and physically by indulging yourself in an infrared sauna several times weekly. Remember to drink water before, during and afterward to replenish yourself, always leave a sauna if you feel faint or unwell in any way, and follow all guidelines before entering. Find your Zen, take it easy, and reap some great benefits!