Are you hitting the mountains this weekend and want some great recipes for the trail? These 3 protein recipes will hit the spot as you hit the trails!
When you adventure as much as I do, nutrition is always a concern. With a full load of tents, sleeping bags, supplies and food, weight quickly becomes a concern – especially on the explorations that last over a week. I regularly turn to Warrior Blend and Classic Plus to help meet my nutritional needs on the trail. Over the past few months, I have developed several go-to recipes involving Sunwarrior that keep me pounding out the miles and climbing over mountains.
Really Rockin' Recovery Hot Chocolate
- 1 heaping scope of Chocolate Warrior Blend
- 1 heaping tablespoon of organic cocoa powder
- Pinch of organic cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons of Omega Nutrition's Organic Coconut Oil
Combine ingredients into your pot. Add in clean, fresh spring water. Slowly heat and stir continuously. Once boiling, pour into your mug, find a great view, and enjoy! The coconut oil helps with nutrient absorption. Occasionally, I will start with coffee if I need a kick-start; however, it should be noted that caffeine can affect the uptake of some amino acids. You'll have to decide if the trade-off is worth it (trust me, it is when it is -10C and snowing outside and you have 20 miles to hike in a snowstorm!).
The Real Deal Break Your Fast
- 1 heaping scoop of Vanilla Warrior Blend
- 1 cup organic steele cut oats
- Non-pasteurized, local honey (to taste)
- Cinnamon (to taste)
- Nutmeg (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons organic vanilla (or to taste)
- Raisins (or berries on shorter trips where weight isn't as big of a concern)
- Almonds (or your favourite type of nut or nut butter)
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds (or hemp)
- 1 tablespoon coconut or avocado oil
Heat water to boil and add in steel cut oats. Once they are cooked, add in all of the other ingredients. Let sit for two minutes. Smell, savor, and enjoy. This is a great recipe to personalize to your taste. I have hiked for two days on this (though I do recommend you bring other sustenance as well!); it will keep you fueled and pushing hard.
Pretty Powerful Protein Nut Butter
- 1 heaping scoop of Chocolate Classic Plus
- 1 container of organic almond butter
- 3 tablespoon of hemp seed
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
Combine all of the above ingredients in a bowl; heat the butter slightly if it is not pouring. Decant into a container. eat this whenever you need a boost and enjoy! This is simple and a very weight effective, calorie-dense snack.
Trail cooking is all about experimentation. Bring a bunch of spices in reusable plastic containers and don't skimp out on quality ingredients. Proper nutrition will make the outdoor experience much more enjoyable.