Want something crazy good? You’ve gotta try this easy-to-make-and-tasting-great recipe for creamy parsnip soup with Thai basil!
It’s pure, addictive, nourishing comfort food at its best! Soup – savory, steaming soup in the winter or frosty cool soups in the summer—is truly a must in your repertoire of recipes. This creamy concoction just may very well hit the top of your best ten.
While I have a number of must-make soups in my back pocket, this one has taken up residence in a front pocket. I am not alone in loving this recipe, but how will you know for yourself if you love it? Pull out the chopping board, power blender, and a big pot – you likely want to double this recipe since it tastes amazing and stashes really well in the freezer for up to a month. The fact that there are less than 10 ingredients makes this recipe a true winner!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup Sunwarrior Coconut Milk powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Sunwarrior Sea Salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 large bunch broccoli, chopped into 1-inch pieces (stem peeled)
- ½ cup fresh Thai basil (Italian basil can be substituted yet is not as fragrant)
Garnish: Additional Thai basil, or cilantro, fresh lime juice and cayenne pepper.
- Heat a large soup pot over high heat. Reduce to medium-high and add the coconut oil, onion, and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the parsnips, water, coconut milk powder, vegetable broth, and seasonings. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until the parsnips are tender.
- Add the chopped broccoli and basil. Simmer for another 5 minutes until the broccoli is tender. Let cool a few minutes.
- Pour slightly cooled soup into the blender (in small batches if using a smaller blender) and blast until velvety smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed then reheat and serve in warm bowls, garnished as desired.