Take charge of your life this year with resolutions and goals you can keep by staying focused and motivated with a vision board!
“New Year! New you!” so the saying goes. We always start with good intentions in the New Year, and then, in a few months, we lose motivation. One of the most powerful ways to manifest what you want in your life is to create positive images in your mind of what your life could be. It has been said that everything that comes into your life is attracted by the images you hold in your mind. This is because you are sending messages to the universe via these images. What if you took those images and created a physical, visual picture of those things you want to bring into your life? An excellent method for helping you attract what you want is the vision board.
What is a Vision Board?
Simply put, a vision board is a poster board filled with images of what you want to have, where you want to live, or who you want to become. When you create a vision board, the universe picks up on the signal you are giving out and suddenly your life changes to match those images and desires. Your vision board is intended to inspire you and keep you focused on the things that you want.
What Can Vision Boards be Used for?
By creating a mental picture of exactly what you would like to have, do, or be, vision boards can help you attract the things you desire in all the areas of your life. They can be used to manifest many areas:
You can create one vision board for each area of your life or combine all the areas on one board.
6 Simple Ways to Help You Get Started
- Take some time to center yourself and visualize what you want to create for the year before making your vision board.
- Spend some time on setting a strong and understandable purpose for the year. Setting an intention and being clear with that intention helps you to align with the deepest part of you.
- Ask yourself who you are. Ask yourself what you want. Then stop and listen to what your inner being is telling you.
- Create a list of the things you want to be, do, or have.
- Take the time to visualize and write down every word or picture that you see in your mind’s eye.
- Journal first and get your intentions on paper; this can also help you get crystal clear about what you want.
Create an atmosphere that can cultivate creativity and help you get clear about what you want. Use candles, soft music, aromatherapy, or meditate before you start creating your vision board. This can help you relax and get your creative juices flowing.
What do you need to create a vision board?
- Poster board, bulletin board, art board, colorful scrapbook paper, colorful cardstock
- Paste, hot glue, rubber cement, or glue stick
- Scrapbook stickers and pictures
What to do?
- Decide what kind of vision board you want to create.
- Flip through magazines and cut out images that grab you, images that make you feel alive, where you say, “yes that’s what I want!”
- While flipping through the magazines, also take note of any heading that catches your eyes and that inspires or motivates you. Cut out quotations, affirmations, and mottoes to use on your board.
- Sort through your images and the words that you cut out and arrange them in a manner that makes sense to you. You can create a collage or keep it simple with a few images or words that inspire you.
- Once you have your images arranged it’s time to paste them on to your board.
- You can add some decorative touches in the end by adding stickers, glitter, or ribbon.
- Don’t forget to add a photo of yourself. This is optional but can be very powerful.
- Once you are finished, place your vision board where you will see it often to keep you inspired and motivated.
Vision Board Alternatives
Alternately you can convert your vision boards into a vision book using a scrapbook. This is a collection of various vision boards that you keep in one place. This is a good idea for those of you who are shy out there and feel uncomfortable hanging your boards up for the world to see. If you are using this version, keep it by your bedside so you can look at it first thing in the morning when you get up or have it be the last thing you look at when you go to bed.
You can use 5” by 7” inch card stock and create a mini vision board that’s portable. You can keep one in your purse or in your car. These are super convenient and act as constant reminders of the things that you want to manifest in your life.
Online Vision Boards
If crafts are not your thing, then you can create your vision board using a simple word-processing program or an online app.
Your goal is to create a pictorial representation of the life that you want. Every image or word, the phrase you choose should uplift and resonate with you. Now get to it. It’s time to have fun manifesting an extraordinary life for 2018!