If you’re looking for a light, healthy meal option, then you’re sure to love this vegan soba noodle salad recipe with hemp seeds and ginger.
Soba noodles originate in Japan and are typically made with buckwheat flour—a gluten-free grain (even though "wheat" is in its name!). They're light but hearty with a softer texture than semolina noodles.
This soba noodle salad recipe is also perfect for someone with nut allergies as it contains tahini (sesame seed paste) as the sauce base rather than peanuts. Hemp seeds and hemp oil make it a great choice for the hemp seed lover. And, like all of my recipes, it's 100% vegan.
To call this a "salad" is a little misleading. But you can add fresh seasonal greens such as watercress, arugula, or dandelion. It's also delicious served on a bed of steamed kale or chard.
Soba noodle salad makes a terrific lunch or a light dinner on a warm night. It’s also perfect for a simple picnic meal.
Makes about 6 servings
Vegan Soba Noodle Salad Recipe with Hemp Seeds and Ginger
For the sauce:
- ½ cup raw sesame tahini
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hemp seed oil
- 1 inch nub fresh ginger root, grated
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you like it hotter)
For the salad:
- 1 package soba noodles prepared according to package directions and cooled
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 cup green cabbage, grated or chopped fine
- 1 large cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 cup radishes, sliced thin
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- Dilute the tahini in warm water, and stir until it's creamy. Some tahini can be harder than others. If this is the case, you may need more water to thin it out. Conversely, you may also need less water if the tahini is already thin and creamy. So add a little at a time knowing you can always add more.
- Once the tahini is creamy, mix in the hemp seed oil, tamari, and vinegar. Add in the fresh ginger and red pepper flakes, and mix well. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Prepare the noodles according to the package directions.
- While the noodles are cooking, get the vegetables ready.
- Once the noodles are cooked and drained, mix with the vegetables into the sauce until evenly coated.
- Serve topped with cilantro and hemp seeds. Enjoy!
Our mission is to nourish & transform the planet, one individual at a time, by providing the highest quality, clean, affordable, plant-based nutrition, education, and science-backed bio-technologies.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.