Looking for a fun savory addition to your party or regular dinnertime? This vegan Sweet and Sour Tempeh Skewers recipe won’t disappoint!
Tempeh is an even better choice than tofu when it comes to selecting alternative options in your plant-based diet. It contains many phytonutrients and provides you with high levels of folate, Vitamin K, calcium, magnesium, iron, and fiber—so no need to worry when you eliminate meats from your diet!
Tempeh is available at most grocery stores now and is available in a variety of forms including pre-cooked, ready to eat, and some not cooked. Some packages are already flavored with soy sauce or other seasonings ahead of time. Always look for packaging in which the soybeans and grains are tightly bound. You will find the higher quality unseasoned tempeh has a mushroom like smell to it.
Sweet and Sour Tempeh Skewers
What’s In It?
- 1/2 cup tamari or Braggs Amino Acids
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2–1 cup orange juice (2 oranges)
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 package of organic tempeh (8 ounces)
- 6–12 large cremini mushrooms, stemmed and cut in half
- 1/2 zucchini cut in half lengthwise, then into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 large onions cut into thick chunks (sliced in half lengthwise then quartered)
- 12 skewers for kabobs
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot, mixed into 2 tablespoons apple juice
How It’s Made:
- Whisk together all tempeh marinade ingredients in mixing bowl; pour into medium pot.
- Cut tempeh in half width-wise, add to tempeh marinade. Bring marinade to a boil, cover, lower heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry, reserving marinade.
- When tempeh reaches room temperature, cut into 24 cubes.
- Bring reserved tempeh marinade to a boil in a small saucepan; whisk in dissolved arrowroot, stirring constantly until sauce comes back to a boil and becomes clear. Use sauce for kebobs.
- Place vegetables and tempeh on skewer in order of your choice and then brush with marinade on baking tray.
- Kebobs can be baked in a 350F oven for 20–30 minutes, or they can be grilled. Brush them occasionally with vegetable marinade as they cook, and turn over once midway.
Tip: Place skewers in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes before adding tempeh and vegetables to reduce charring.
Our amazing team of Sunwarriors creates the healthiest Plant-Based Proteins & Supplements. Our mission is to nourish & Transform The Planet.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.