Pies and pumpkins aren't reserved for autumn only; let this yummy treat cool you down as the days get warmer. Enjoy this cold pumpkin pie!
While some may feel pumpkin spiced foods are reserved for the fall, this pie is a wonderful way to enjoy a fabulous dessert while nourishing your body with an abundance of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory foods and spices. Make this any time you crave a creamy pie. If preferred, the crust can be made with nuts or seeds and dates instead of the store bought cookies. Whatever you choose, the real star of this dessert is the filling. Fragrant, warming, and ever so satisfying, you’ll love it!
Sweet Potato Pumpkin Spiced Pie with Ginger Crumb Crust
Vegan, gluten free
- 1 box 5.5 oz Enjoy Life ginger cookies roughly broken, approximately 1¼ cup crumbs
- 2 to 3 Medjool dates or 2 to 3 tablespoons date butter
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice, store bought or home-made
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, roasted and cut into chunks
- ⅔ to 1 cup pureed dates to taste (I prefer it with ⅔ cup)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste (adds that fabulous Canadian maple taste)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, warmed to melt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, liquid or powder, or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice, or to taste
- Pinch sea salt
Lightly oil an 8-inch pie pan and set aside.
Measure crust ingredients into a food processor and process until a crumbly mixture forms, approximately 1 minute. Gently press the crumble into the pie pan and pack firmly all the way up the sides of the pan. Chill in the freezer while preparing the filling.
To make the filling, measure the ingredients into the cleaned out processor. Process until a smooth mixture forms, which should be about 2 to 4 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste if needed.
Pour the filling into the chilled crust, smoothing evenly. Cover and chill or freeze for at least three hours or overnight.
When ready to serve, enjoy garnished with items such as orange zest, toasted coconut, ginger cookie crumble, cinnamon, cocoa, or whipped coconut crème. Stores well in the freezer in an airtight container.
Molasses will be a great authentic and mineral rich addition. Substitute for 1 to 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup.
Our amazing team of Sunwarriors creates the healthiest Plant-Based Proteins & Supplements. Our mission is to nourish & Transform The Planet.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.