When I was raising my son, Jesse, Fridays were a sacred pizza and movie night for our tripod family. On those occasions when we deviated from pizza, our shift was small—vegetarian nachos. Our dinner had to be fun, flavorful, nutrient infused, and easy to eat from the coffee table. Shifting away from the chorizo we’d top it with, I created a Mexican spiced tofu crumble. (If you have my cookbook Weekday Wonders, you’ll see it in the Kid’s Kreations section as Not-So Notty Nachos.) It serves fabulously as a vegan option to eggs and fills soft tortillas perfectly for a vegan taco. This makes a fabulous go-to recipe option! It only takes minutes to prepare and can be adapted to any meal of the day. Be sure to buy non-GMO or organic soy products.
Scrambled Tempeh or Tofu
Latin influenced, gluten free, vegan
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon Maison Orphee olive oil, more if needed/desired
- 1 package 350–450 gram organic tempeh or tofu, crumbled or diced
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon tamari sauce (gluten free) or 2 teaspoons coconut aminos or Shoyu sauce
- ½ to 1 teaspoon (or to taste) each: cumin, chili powder, chipotle or smoked paprika, turmeric, oregano, fresh or dried chili peppers, and fine grey sea salt
- ¾ cup fresh salsa, strained of excess moisture
- Veggies or salad
Crumble or shred tofu or tempeh and set aside.
Fry onions in a hot cast iron pan on med-high until translucent. Add the rest of the ingredients. Be generous with the spices, adjusting amounts to desired liking. This is where your flavor, along with numerous health benefits, comes from.
Sauté until tofu has browned and becomes fragrant. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve w/ salsa, guacamole, veggies, refried beans, etc.
Our amazing team of Sunwarriors creates the healthiest Plant-Based Proteins & Supplements. Our mission is to nourish & Transform The Planet.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.