What do you get when you cross peppermint with chocolate? Christmas! Nothing says festive more than these peppermint truffles!
Tis the season of celebration and the long-anticipated feasting with family and friends. The candy cane is a holiday classic and what better way to enjoy it than in kid or adult friendly truffles packed with superfoods. Heck, this recipe creation can create a power bar for athletes of all calibers. Whether you’re a Sunwarrior or simply a food lover, and no matter your age, these truffles are a must-have and are appropriate any time of the year. Enjoy as you will and know you’re honoring and celebrating your health at the same time. Food like this is like a holiday hug from Santa himself.
1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
½ cup almond meal
4 tablespoons Sunwarrior Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 -3 tablespoons crushed candy cane
Pinch Sunwarrior Sea Salt
Truffle parchment paper cups, if desired
- Combine the ingredients in a food processor and blast until the mixture comes together in a ball.
- Shape into 1 inch balls and set to chill while preparing the chocolate coating if using.
- When ready to coat, either roll in powder, nuts, or espresso powder or dip in the melted chocolate. Recipe below
- To do this, dip one truffle at a time into the chocolate and use a fork to lower and lift, shaking off excess chocolate.
- Place on parchment paper and sprinkle with additional crushed candy cane and sea salt if desired.
- Chill to harden, arrange in mini paper cups and store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
SIMPLE TRUFFLE COATING:
Sunwarrior Cocoa Powder, crushed nuts or fine espresso powder to roll truffles in
1 ½ cups bittersweet chocolate
1 tablespoon coconut oil or coconut milk
To melt chocolate for coating truffles:
- Add 1 ¼ cups of the chocolate and the oil or milk to a bowl and place over a pot of very gently simmering water ensuring steam can't escape.
- Once the chocolate is almost all melted, remove the bowl from heat. Stir to evenly melt, then gently stir in 1/2 of the remaining chocolate. Stir until all pieces are melted then add the remaining and repeat.
- Return bowl to sit over the hot water for a few minutes and then remove from heat and proceed to coating the truffles as explained in step 4 above.
- If the mixture is too wet or dry add additional almond meal or dates as needed.
- If you have extra melted chocolate simply make chocolate kisses by dropping little dollops onto the parchment paper. Top as desired.