A quick and easy meal, filled with zest and health: Mexican Quinoa! Your family’s hungry; it’s time for dinner!
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes no drained (mixed seasoning tomatoes, jalapeños or fire-roasted diced tomatoes will all work)
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can corn, drained
- Two big red bell peppers chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional: chopped green onion
- Toppings: guacamole, salsa, vegan sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, dairy free cheese, etc.
- In a medium-size skillet, add the quinoa, water, can of tomatoes together and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer on medium-low, for 12–18 minutes or until quinoa is done and liquid is fully absorbed.
- Optional: Add a splash of water or vegetable broth while cooking, if needed.
- Mix in black beans, corn, lime juice, bell peppers, green onion, and spices to taste and stir.
- Spoon into bowls and serve warm with guacamole, salsa, and the rest of your toppings