Get that golden summer glow without the burn for your skin with this easy-to-make natural sunscreen recipe!
Most sunscreens have xenoestrogens, chemicals that resemble the body’s hormone estrogen. They have an estrogenic effect in the body that can cause hormonal imbalances leading to weight gain & belly fat.
Where are these xenoestrogens? They can be found in a number of places: pesticides, plastics, beauty products, and meat from animals that have been fattened up using estrogenic drugs, to name a few. So you can see how we are exposed to excess estrogen each and every day from a number of different sources. With all this exposure, the estrogen levels in the body continue to increase, which can contribute to estrogen dominance.
What can excess estrogen look like for you?
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Thyroid imbalances
- Mood swings
- Decreased sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction
- Weight gain
Any steps you can take towards decreasing your exposure to xenoestrogens will be doing good for your body.
Some of the things you can do to decrease exposure to xenoestrogens:
- Eat organic
- Avoid using plastic (water bottles, containers)
- Do not heat plastic in the microwave
- Use glass instead
- Drink filtered water
- Use natural beauty & personal care products
Your skin absorbs all the lotions and beauty products you put on it. You eat healthy, so you are being mindful of what you put in your body. But don’t forget to be mindful of what you put on it. You could be absorbing a ton of chemicals that are preventing you from losing weight without even realizing it!
Thinking about skipping the sunscreen all together? Although we get a beautiful tan and a good dose of vitamin D from the sun, we want to make sure we are protecting our skin from burning. Burning causes premature aging and wrinkles—how's that for beautiful?
Natural Sunscreen Recipe:
- 1/2 cup almond oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- 2 tablespoons zinc oxide
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- Several drops of essential oil of your choice, such as vanilla or rose
Adjust the amount of beeswax to adjust the thickness of the sunscreen. The zinc will make your sunscreen SPF 20+. Be careful not to inhale the powder.
1. Combine all ingredients except zinc oxide in a double broiler or create one using a heat resistant jar that is about 2 cups or more (ex. a mason jar).
2. Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and place over medium heat.
3. Put a lid on the jar loosely and place in the pan with the water.
4. As the water heats, the ingredients in the jar will start to melt. Shake or stir occasionally to incorporate. When all ingredients are completely melted, add the zinc oxide.
5. Stir in well as it cools and pour into a jar for storage.
6. Store in a cool, dry place or in the fridge (use within 6 months).
7. Apply liberally & don't forget to reapply throughout the day!
Our amazing team of Sunwarriors creates the healthiest Plant-Based Proteins & Supplements. Our mission is to nourish & Transform The Planet.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.