Resistance bands are great for those who want to exercise at home, work out outdoors, or who need to take their workouts along when they travel. Although some believe that resistance bands are not as effective as lifting weights, they each play their own important roles in fitness. If you've got achy joints or are recovering from an injury, bands are a lower-impact option to build muscle while keeping your joints out of harm's way. There are many benefits including versatility, convenience, safety, and effectiveness. These inexpensive exercise tools are a convenient option for people of any age or fitness level; from professional athletes to the gym newbie, they are for everyone. The best part is you never have to miss a workout! You can have an intense workout anywhere with very little space needed!
Incorporating resistance bands into your workout routine improves your balance, strengthens isolated muscle groups, prevents injuries, and helps you challenge yourself gradually. Resistance bands also allow you to adjust the weight amount, just as with weights. For example, when you do a bicep curl using resistance bands, you can make it a harder exercise by standing on the bands and holding a wider stance. Using a heavier band will also give you a more intense workout. Not to mention they’re cost effective, easy to transport, and can give you a total body workout that challenges your lungs and muscles.
This workout is a total body blaster. I have incorporated in some body weight movement to keep your heart rate up and burn more calories. No gym required and little time or space is needed.
Perform each exercise for 30 seconds then follow the rest times.
- Jumping jacks
- Double Bicep curls—Stand with feet shoulder-width apart with your feet placed over the middle of the band. Grab a handle in each hand, starting with your arms down at your sides. With palms facing in front of you, pull your arms toward your shoulders by bending at the elbow until you get a good bicep contraction. Slowly lower back down.
- Jumping jacks
- Bent over back row—Stand over the center of the band with feet shoulder-width apart. Bend slightly at the knees and hinge at the waist, keeping your hips back. Grasp each handle with hands facing the outside of your knees. With elbows bent, pull the band up toward your hips, squeezing your shoulder blades together until your elbows form a 90-degree angle. Lower and row.
Rest 1 minute
Triceps/ Chest/ Lower body
- Body weight squats
- Push-ups—Get in plank position, draping the resistance band across your low back. Loop the ends of the band through each thumb, and place your hands on the ground in starting position, body face down on the ground. Contract your glutes and abs and push straight up until your arms fully extend. Lower back down, chest to the floor.
- Body weight Squats
- Tricep Kickback—Stand in a forward lunge position with your right foot in front, positioned over the center of the band. Holding each end of the band, position your arms at your sides with palms facing behind you. Bend at the elbows (keeping them tucked by your sides) until your forearms are parallel to the floor. Next, press down the arms, pushing the band behind your body until the arms fully extend. Lower back down and repeat!
Rest 1 minute
- Frog jumps—Standing in stationary position, mimic the jump of a frog.
- Upright Row—With feet positioned over the center of the band, shoulder-width apart, grip each handle and position them with palms facing each other just in front of your thighs. Pull the band straight up the front of your body to shoulder-level, keeping your elbows bent and positioned in a high “V.” Slowly lower back down to starting position and keep rowing.
- Frog Jumps
- Planks Twists—Get into plank position and rotate your trunk from the right to the left- almost touching the floor.
This convenient workout has just worked you from your head to your toes and you didn’t even have to leave your living room! Consuming Sunwarrior protein powder within 30 min post workout is best for recovery and replenishing our bodies’ cells.
Resistance Bands photo credit: Dave Crosby
Our amazing team of Sunwarriors creates the healthiest Plant-Based Proteins & Supplements. Our mission is to nourish & Transform The Planet.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.