When your sweet tooth starts craving unhealthy snacks, this chocolate caramel squares recipe is sure to satisfy without the guilt.
Chocolate Caramel Delicious-ness. Chocolate and caramel together has to be one of my sinister foods, so I was on a mission to create a healthier, vegan version. The base has a wicked crunch while the caramel and chocolate have a richness that melts in your mouth. This recipe is refined-sugar free, vegan, and gluten free!
The base is made with dates which are a natural source of sugar and fiber. The caramel is made with almond butter and tahini, adding another dimension to the flavor. The chocolate is made with coconut oil and cacao powder. This recipe is super quick to make and requires no time in the oven!
To make this recipe, you will need a food processor, a 4 x 4 inch pan, and patience while it sets. (I know, I know . . . it may be tough to resist eating them right away, but I promise it’s worth the wait!)
Chocolate Caramel Squares
- 1 cup Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup Brazil nuts
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1.5 cup medjool dates (soaked in water)
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
- 1 cup nondairy milk (I recommend using cashew milk or full fat coconut milk)
- 3 teaspoons tahini
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cashew milk
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- Place all ingredients for the base in a food processor. Combine until mixture holds together and is slightly sticky.
- Line a 4 x 4 inch square pan with parchment paper. Remove contents from your food processor and press down firmly into the pan. Place in freezer to set.
- Place all ingredients for your caramel in your food processor. Mix until smooth. This may take a little time so give it 6–7 minutes. Remove base from your fridge and pour the caramel on top. Return to freezer for 3 hours to set.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for chocolate layer. Pour on top of the caramel mixture and return to freezer to set for 2 hours.
- Slice and serve!
Note: If they are too soft to cut, place in freezer for an extra 30 minutes and then slice!
Our mission is to nourish & transform the planet, one individual at a time, by providing the highest quality, clean, affordable, plant-based nutrition, education, and science-backed bio-technologies.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.