BLT Sandwich Vegan Style
Article Published on Nov 29, 2016
Ever had a BLT sandwich vegan style? (Which, of course, means IN style!) Then have we got some tasty happiness waiting for you!
This recipe was inspired from one of my favorite vegan bakeries in Toronto. I decided to experiment and see if I could replicate the taste and flavor myself using a few simple ingredients that I found in the health food store. The “B” or “bacon” flavor in this recipe comes from the smoked coconut chips. The bakery smokes their own coconut chips, and since I have no smoker, I found these wonderful BBQ coconut chips in the health food store that I think compare to the real thing. This recipe is very simple since all the ingredients, minus the vegan mayonnaise, requires zero preparation time. Well maybe besides washing and slicing the vegetables (“L – Lettuce” & “T – Tomato”).
I bought a small loaf of the bakeries gluten-free bread which they make in-house and is truly delicious. However any gluten-free sliced bread will do. The vegan mayonnaise is not the true version that the bakery makes so I had to improvise, seeing that I don’t know the recipe for their secret mayo sauce. Equally as tasty is my version below. If you don’t have time to make a batch, you can purchase one from the health food store and use that instead.
This recipe will pleasantly surprise any “real” BLT lover. Give it a try and see for yourself.
BLT Sandwich Vegan Style
- 2 slices of gluten-free bread
- 1 tomato
- 1 romaine lettuce leaf
- 1 cup BBQ coconut chips
- Vegan mayonnaise (see recipe below)
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar
- ½ teaspoon raw agave nectar or coconut nectar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1–2 garlic cloves minced.
- Combine all the ingredients for the vegan mayonnaise into a blender and blend until thick and smooth. Set this aside until you need it.
- Cut the tomato into slices, set aside.
- Shred lettuce into large pieces (large enough to fit on top of the sliced bread).
- Spread vegan mayonnaise on both slices of gluten-free bread; add the BBQ coconut chips on one of the slices of bread, top with lettuce and tomato. Finish off by adding the second slice of bread on top.
- Garnish with a pickle on the side.
Are you seeing weird numbers and letters? Find out why here!
Our mission is to nourish & transform the planet, one individual at a time, by providing the highest quality, clean, affordable, plant-based nutrition, education, and science-backed bio-technologies.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.