Berry Protein Mousse
Article Published on Dec 20, 2017
Sometimes we crave a dessert that is rich and silky, but we don’t want all the added sugars. Which is why we’re bringing you a berry protein mousse! You’re welcome!
I’ve created a dessert that fits the needs for silky and rich without the added sugars, and I did it using aquafaba. This fancy word is quite incredible but not as obscure as it sounds. Aquafaba is simply the liquid you typically throw away from a can of chickpeas. One of the most incredible things about aquafaba is that it turns out to be the same consistency as a regular mousse, that being very light and fluffy. You will actually see the air pockets inside the mousse when it is set. I have made countless avocado mousses, and although delicious, it’s a different texture. Aquafaba can be used to replace egg whites in most vegan baking, so think twice about dumping that chickpea liquid down the sink!
The top portion of the mousse was made with agar-agar, which is typically found in powder form and can be used to create vegan gelatin or mousse. The best part about agar-agar is that it’s packed with fiber, contains no sugar and no carbohydrates.
This dessert would be perfect to make for the holiday season. Your guests will be shocked when you tell them how healthy it is (or leave that part out!). You can make a variety of mousses with this recipe such as substituting the berries for chocolate. You can simply melt 1 cup vegan chocolate, let it cool down and then incorporate it into your whipped chickpea water (aquafaba).
Adding 1 shot of espresso and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup will make this that recipe come to life. You can use a variety of different fruits as well such as in season berries, mangos, coconut, or even peanut butter. This super-rich and silky mouse is decadent but super healthy. It’s packed with protein, low carb, dairy-free, and guilt-free.
Berry Protein Mousse
- 1 can organic chickpeas
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1.5 cups raspberries
- ½ scoop Sunwarrior Warrior Blend Natural protein (r you can use vanilla or berry depending on how vibrant you want your flavors)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup reserved strained berries
- 1 teaspoon agar-agar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Mousse: Combine strawberries and raspberries in a high-speed blender or food processor. Remove from blender and strain berries through a fine sleeve over a bowl. Pressing down firmly with the back of a spoon, allow all juices to drip into the bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup for jelly
2. Open the can of chickpeas and drain liquid into a small bowl. Place chickpeas in a bowl for later snacking or salad
3. In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, place chickpea water in bowl and whisk until soft peaks form
4. Gently fold in berry juice, Sunwarrior protein, and maple syrup. Divide mixture into small bowls and place in fridge to set for 3–4 hours
5. Jelly Top: Combine agar-agar and water into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in maple syrup and strained berries. Pour onto chilled mousse and put in fridge to set for 5–6 hours
Our mission is to nourish & transform the planet, one individual at a time, by providing the highest quality, clean, affordable, plant-based nutrition, education, and science-backed bio-technologies.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.