Barbecue Jackfruit Salad
Article Published on Jul 19, 2018
Know jack about jackfruit! There are tons of reasons to fall in love with jackfruit, and this barbecue jackfruit salad is just one of them!
Being a plant-based connoisseur, I thought I knew about every fruit on the planet, but I realized I did not know jack about fruit! I have recently discovered jackfruit! Jackfruit is an amazing meaty fruit that has a neutral taste. Whatever you flavor it, it takes on that taste. I discovered it one day when eating at a health-conscious Latin American restaurant. I asked if they had a vegan “meat” option and the server said “We have jackfruit. It is soy-free and gluten-free with a meat-like texture.” I was intrigued. So I ordered my salad with barbequed jackfruit on top. To my surprise, it was quite delicious! I actually liked it better than my other faux meats because it was not processed. I loved it so much, I have created my own recipe, and now I make it at pretty regularly.
Benefits of Jackfruit:
Jackfruit is rich in vitamins, minerals and lots of dietary fiber, which makes it a good natural laxative. It is also a viable source of minerals, such as iron, magnesium, potassium, and manganese as well.
Fun Facts about Zucchini:
Did you know that jackfruit is the largest fruit that grows on trees? It can grow up to 100 lbs! It is widely cultivated in throughout tropical regions in the world. It is the national fruit of Bangladesh.
Barbecue Jackfruit Salad
- Spring mix lettuce
- Cucumbers, sliced
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Carrots, julienned
- Avocado, sliced
- Pepitas sprinkled on top
- Jackfruit chopped and cleaned
- ½ cup organic ketchup
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup water
- To make the salad- Add all salad ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly. Put salad on a plate.
- To make the barbeque sauce- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and heat for 15 minutes on the stovetop. In a separate bowl, take fresh chopped up jackfruit and add as much homemade barbeque sauce as needed. Mix the barbeque sauce and jackfruit thoroughly. Then add as much jackfruit you want on top of salad. You can use a teaspoon or two of the homemade barbeque sauce for salad dressing. It gives it a smoky but fresh flavor. It will be the best barbeque salad you ever make!
Our mission is to nourish & transform the planet, one individual at a time, by providing the highest quality, clean, affordable, plant-based nutrition, education, and science-backed bio-technologies.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.