We’re all looking for fast and simple ways to improve our health and boost immunity. Introducing freshly squeezed lemon water into your diet will do just that! The beautiful yellow fruit is a citrus powerhouse that hosts many health benefits to give you what you need to live a cleansed and energetic life. Whether you’re trying to trim your waist line or build immunity, just one glass of lemon water contains less than 25 calories and is a rich source of nutrients like calcium, potassium, vitamin C, and pectin fiber! It also has medicinal values, antibacterial properties, and contains traces of iron and vitamin A. But it doesn’t stop there. Here are a few of the amazing health benefits we get from lemons!
- Digestion/Beat Bloating: Fresh lemon water, especially first thing in the morning, can help relieve or prevent digestive problems like bloating, intestinal gas, and heartburn and stimulate better digestion in general.
- Skin Health: Drinking lemon water is even said to be good for improving your skin. The high vitamin C content would help here, but the overall cleansing, detoxifying, antibiotic, and antioxidant effects are likely to be even more important.
- Natural Cleanser: Lemons are antiseptic and have a powerful cleansing effect on your liver, kidneys, and blood. An overworked liver in particular has an influence on how good you feel so having a simple way to cleanse it each morning can make a big difference to your daily energy over time. Drinking lemon water helps the body in the removal of toxins and provides you with a great overall detox.
- Alkalizes: It is important to maintain a slightly positive alkaline state in order to fight off cancer and other illnesses. Although acidic to taste, lemons are one of the most alkaline of foods and help to push our bodies to the required pH alkaline state of around 7.4.
- Fights Asthma: The vitamin C found in lemon juice plays two important roles in combating breathing problems. First, it strengthens the immune system, and second, it works as an antioxidant that fights the harmful oxidants the lungs produce when allergens and bouts of asthma hit.
- Reduce Anxiety: It is believed that inhaling the scent of lemon oil helps in increasing concentration and alertness.
- Fights Osteoporosis: Lemon juice is rich in Vitamin C and helps the body to absorb calcium and fight osteoporosis. It also contains calcium and magnesium, as well as potassium. Potassium supports bone health by neutralizing metabolic acids, thus conserving the body’s calcium stores. It also reduces calcium loss through urine.
- Blood vessels are strengthened: by the vitamin P bioflavonoids in lemons preventing internal hemorrhage. They also make it useful in treating high blood pressure.
- Protect against cancer: A 2005 study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that the limonoids in citrus fruit, such as lemons, can protect against certain types of cancer. Limonoids are organic substances in citrus fruits that help determine their bitterness or sweetness. The compounds work by protecting your cells from damage that can lead to the formation of cancer.
- Boost Immune and Health: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure!
Adding lemons to your daily nutrition can work wonders in the human body. Maintaining health is all about prevention; food is medicine and we need to take it daily!