Eating clean is a lifestyle that allows you a longer life! So, choose healthy. Choose clean. Let these 8 ways to eat clean show you how!
The majority of people have good intentions towards what they want to eat. Bringing those good plans to fruition can be a struggle at times. Eating clean is a lifestyle. Not only does your body function at an optimal level, but you also feel better about yourself mentally and physically and are less prone to infections due to a stronger immune system. If you are ready to make a change, here are my TOP 8 steps to help you transition to a healthier you by eating clean.
1. Dump the soda. Diet or otherwise, sodas are not your friend. They are high in sugar and sodium, plus they can lead to dehydration over time. Diet sodas are no better. Sure, you are saving yourself some extra calories, but the sweeteners used can be worse than regular sugar causing you more health issues. Not to mention, soda can cause gum disease and stain those pearly whites.
2. Eat more vegetables. Eat as much as you like in a wide variety. Try something new every time you go shopping if you don't usually eat a lot of vegetables. You may find some hidden treasures. The more, the merrier, and choose all different colors while you are getting crazy in the produce aisle! A visually stimulating plate of veggies will tempt you to eat them. You win!
3. Decrease alcohol. Drinking alcohol is damaging. Not only does it affect your mental and nervous system. You are looking at increased blood pressure, and damage to your liver cells.
4. Limit processed foods. The dark hole of convenience is what processed foods can offer you. With this offer of convenience comes a mouthful of nothing good for your body. Processed foods contain high amounts of unhealthy fats, sugars, calories, and artificial flavors.
5. Be accountable. We all make dietary mishaps. It is okay! But, take ownership, be responsible, and move forward. There is no sense in beating yourself up over it. Tomorrow is another day to do it all over again. Each day can bring better health and a renewed you. Strive to eat clean 80% of the time and allow for the times when you just want to go out with your friends and have a couple of slices of pizza. Remember, you define yourself. Eat for you, and your goals.
6. Eat healthy fats. You can make some excellent healthy choices in this category. Choosing healthy fats such as coconut, avocado, olive oil, nuts, and seeds. You want to stay away from trans fats and saturated fats.
7. Make simple meals. Sometimes things get too complicated in the kitchen. Meals become an adventure of ingredients. There isn't anything wrong with adding some spice to your life, in fact, I encourage cooking with fresh herbs and spices, but try to keep meal planning simple with fresh, wholesome ingredients.
8. Start off slowly. If you are not a person to go cold turkey, ease into it. Remember, eating clean is NOT a diet, it is merely eating to better yourself mentally and physically. If you go into it thinking of all the things you cannot eat you are setting yourself up for failure. Ease into a clean and healthy lifestyle one day at a time. Set goals for yourself and embrace a stronger version of you!
If you are looking towards nutrition that fuels you and keeps you on your "A game," eating clean will help you achieve that goal. Unhealthy nutrient consumption will impact your body in both short and long-term. Enjoy life, enjoy food, but try to keep it clean and healthy. Happy Eating!