This raw Apple Protein Ice Cream Cake is my first attempt at making an all raw post-workout dessert for athletes and cross trainers. I made this dish with the intent of creating a high protein superfood cake you can enjoy at any time of the day. This isn't your typical apple dessert. You can practically eat the whole cake and not feel guilty, compared to a slice from a store bought apple pie that’s loaded with refined sugars and saturated fats.
My cake is made with nothing but non-GMO and organic ingredients. This gluten-free delectable has no refined sugar, no added junk, and no artificial ingredients. I even submitted this apple cake dish in a local apple pie contest here in California. You will be amazed just how refreshing and healthy this hypoallergenic protein dessert is when taking your first slice, and maybe after seconds as well.
Raw Apple Superfood Ice Cream Cake
(from the bottom up)
- 4 tablespoons organic flax meal
- 2/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons crunched walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (vanilla flavor)
- 1/4 cup green tea (homemade unsweetened)
Apple & Protein Layer:
- 2 cups organic apples sliced
- 1 cup apple butter sauce, homemade is great!
- 1 scoop Sunwarrior vanilla protein powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter powder
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (vanilla flavor)
Superfood Ice Cream Layer:
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla bean powder
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut shreds
- 2 tablespoons organic lemon zest
- 1/4 cup coconut Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 1 cup organic apples sliced on top
Crust Layer: mix flax meal, rolled oats, raisins, crunched walnuts, coconut milk, and green tea in a bowl until moist and slightly clumpy. Pour crust batter into 8" springform pan and press down to form an even layer.
Apple & Protein Layer: lay out sliced apples in spiral formation and top with homemade apple butter sauce. Next, in a separate bowl, mix vanilla protein powder, peanut butter powder, and coconut milk and pour over sliced apples and sauce layer evenly.
Superfood Ice Cream Layer: combine chia seeds, coconut oil, and vanilla bean powder in a mason jar and keep chilled. Note: you may want to mix and store chia seed layer in the refrigerator overnight to thicken up. Spread as the next layer in the cake. Sprinkle shredded coconut and lemon zest over chia seed layer and then top with some more shredded coconut, the coconut Greek yogurt, and more apple slices.
Set and store in freezer or refrigerator.
When ready to dive in, thaw, then slice and enjoy!