You need to eat before going on a run, but you don’t want to get sick either. Need some help figuring out what to do? Give this smoothie a try!rn
Sometimes eating solid foods even a couple hours before you go on a long run can cause an upset stomach or acid reflux. So rather than eat a full-on meal, I whip up a delicious, nutrition smoothie to give me the boost I need for a good run.
This is my personal heavy-duty energy smoothie that I drink before doing my 20+ mile training runs. The fruit provides a quick source of energy while the fat from the nuts allows you to feel fuller longer, meaning you won’t have to rely on as much liquid calories for the duration of your run!
Long Run Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen fruit (my fave is strawberries and/or blueberries)
- ¼ cup almonds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds or hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 scoop Sunwarrior chocolate protein
- 1 banana
- 2 cups non-dairy milk or enough for preferred consistency
- Optional: 1 stalk frozen or fresh kale
Place all ingredients in blender and process until smooth. Add more milk as needed to reach a consistency you prefer. Pour into a large glass and enjoy!