We all love krispy treats! Create the snack you love, with all the flavor you want, while still keeping it healthy.
Marni Wasserman—author of Fermenting for Dummies and Plant-Based Diet for Dummies, culinary nutritionist, health strategist, Sunwarrior ambassador, and founder of Marni Wasserman’s Food Studio & Lifestyle Shop—rocks another video straight out of Sunwarrior’s headquarters in Southern Utah, and this week she’s making karma krispy treats, aka the healthy rice crispy square. That’s right! She digs deep into our most delicious childhood memories, adding her nutritious flare to the recipe. There are a ton of recipes out there that try to healthify a rice crispy treat, but Marni makes one that’s as clean as possible.
The oats in this recipe are rolled oats which are naturally gluten-free. The processing of oats and oat products is usually where contamination with gluten occurs. Check for the label or product information the next time you buy oats, and it will indicate whether or not they are certified gluten free.
Yield: 10 full servings
35 minutes total
20 minutes prep
Karma Krispy Treats
What’s In It?
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup smooth almond nut butter
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup each: sunflower, pumpkin, sesame seeds
- 2 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
How It’s Made
- Spread the nuts and seeds on a larger baking pan and lightly toast in the oven on a low heat (200°C) for about 10 minutes
- In a large saucepan, heat together coconut oil, almond nut butter, and rice syrup on a low heat. At the last moment, add the honey and heat until blended
- In a separate bowl, add the rice cereal and oats and mix in the almond mixture until the grains are well coated
- Add the apricots, raisins, cranberries, almonds, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds; mix well.
- Using lightly oiled hands, press mixture evenly into greased (with coconut oil) 8 inch square cake pan. Let stand for 15 minutes or until firm. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Make them special with dark chocolate chips, different dried fruits, and your favorite nuts. Each decadent square is a dose of childlike happiness.
Our mission is to nourish & transform the planet, one individual at a time, by providing the highest quality, clean, affordable, plant-based nutrition, education, and science-backed bio-technologies.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.