Everyone loves a good pasta dish, and if you’re watching your carbs, this zucchini lasagna recipe is for you!
It seems that everywhere you turn, more and more people are limiting their intake of refined carbohydrates, high glycemic carbohydrates and gluten, or eating Paleo style. There is plenty of research that proves eating too many refined and high-glycemic carbohydrates can not only contribute to weight gain but also type 2 diabetes. Modifying your carbohydrate intake will not only help you to lose weight and reduce fat but also improve your health in many ways.
If you’re trying to watch your carbohydrate intake but still savor traditional lasagna, this is a great dish that combines the same flavors of traditional lasagna without the noodles.
Give it a try and tell us what you think.
- 2 to 4 zucchini
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper
- 6 to 8 cremini mushrooms
- 2 cup tomato and basil sauce (or as needed)
- 1 cup cashew cheese (or as needed)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- Fresh basil leaves
Cashew Cheese Ingredients:
- 2 cups of cashews (soaked for minimum 20 minutes)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 to 2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water or as needed for a smooth constituency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Add garlic and cook until slightly golden. Add the sauce and the oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Bring the sauce to a boil and then simmer for another 20 to 30 min.
- Combine all ingredients for the cashew cheese in a food processor and blend until smooth. If you do not have a food processor, you can use a blender.
- Slice zucchini longwise between 1/8th of an inch thick. Using a mandolin is best to get consistent thickness. Add Himalayan salt and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes. The salt will help to drain the water from the zucchini. Drain and squeeze as much water from the zucchini as possible. Set aside.
- Slice the crimini mushrooms and bell pepper. Set aside.
- Spread some tomato sauce on the bottom of casserole dish to start. Lay the zucchini slices side by side to cover the bottom of the casserole dish. Add tomato sauce, mushrooms, red pepper and cashew cheese on top of the zucchini. Continue adding layers of zucchini, tomato sauce, mushrooms, bell pepper, and cashew cheese. Top the last layer with tomato sauce and cashew cheese, and garnish with basil leaves.
- Cover the casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the zucchini has softened.
Slice it up and enjoy!
Our amazing team of Sunwarriors creates the healthiest Plant-Based Proteins & Supplements. Our mission is to nourish & Transform The Planet.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.