Get a taste of the Old World! This zoodle pasta Pomodoro with hemp parmesan puts a new twist on the traditional flavors of Italy!
This recipe is a twist from the traditional pasta favored by most Italian food lovers. Instead of the glutinous noodles traditionally used in pasta dishes, this recipe uses two types of noodles: zucchini and shirataki, also known as konjac or miracle noodles. If you have not tried shirataki noodles, you are definitely missing out. These translucent noodles have zero calories, are high in fiber and very filling. They are made from glucomannan, a type of fiber that comes from the root of the konjac plant. Since they are high in fiber, they digest slowly, and you feel fuller longer.
In addition, zucchini has a boost of nutrient value and is a healthier alternative to noodles. They contain potassium, folate, magnesium, and have a good source of vitamin A and C. They are low in calories with a high water content, which make them an excellent choice if you want to shed a few pounds and ditch the starchy carbs. So give this recipe a whirl. It’s pretty quick and easy to make.
- 2 ripe large vine tomatoes
- ½ onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup fettuccine noodles
- 1 teaspoon oregano (more if you like oregano)
- 2 basil leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Sunwarrior Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup Sunwarrior Nutritional Yeast
- ¼ teaspoon Sunwarrior Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Mince garlic and chop onions and tomatoes.
- In a pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the minced garlic and chopped onions and sauté until tender but not brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, and salt; reduce heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes or until tomatoes have softened.
- While tomatoes are simmering, prepare the noodles using a spiralizer. Spiralizer the zucchini so that they come out looking like spaghetti.
- Remove the Konjac from the package, place in a colander and rinse under cold water for 10 to 15 seconds. Boil a small pot of water. When the water boils, place noodles in the water for only 2 minutes. Remove the noodles and drain the water. Place noodles in a non-greased pan on medium heat until dry.
- Place ingredients for the hemp parmesan in a coffee grinder or food processor and process until you have a fine powder. If do not have either of these, just sprinkle both hemp seeds and nutritional yeast on noodles.
- Assemble the zucchini noodles and fettuccine on a plate, add the pomodoro (tomatoes) and top with hemp parmesan.