Vegan Loaded Sweet Potatoes
Article Published on Apr 06, 2018
Load ‘em up! These vegan loaded sweet potatoes come loaded with flavor and vitamins and eating joy!
Sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients and have been dubbed as one of the healthiest foods in the world. They’re rich in Vitamin A, B6 (which aids in metabolism) and Vitamin C, and they are loaded with calcium and potassium. Sweet potatoes have even been found to regulate heart function. More and more people today are talking about gut health (we see this with the rise of probiotic and kombuchas), so it’s also worth noting that these types of potatoes are packed with fiber and assist in maintaining a healthy digestive system. They help fight off chronic disease and have many anti-aging properties. The bottom line? You should be eating sweet potatoes! But eating them day in and day out can get a bit repetitive, so try adding a Mediterranean twist to your next sweet potato meal.
Vegan Loaded Sweet Potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes (medium size - make sure they are thoroughly rinsed and cleaned)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 12–15 ounces chickpeas
- ¼ cup of your favorite organic hummus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1–1 ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon of garlic
- ½ teaspoon of pink Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut your sweet potatoes in half with a thick knife, length-wise.
- With the back of a spoon, lightly coat each sweet potato half with olive oil and place orange side down on a baking sheet.
- While oven is preheating, drain chickpeas into a bowl and add a drop of olive oil, the cinnamon, cumin, garlic, and sea salt and mix well.
- Place chickpea mixture onto a separate baking sheet and lightly sprayed with coconut oil.
- Place both trays in oven and roast for about 30 minutes. (note: you should be able to press a fork into the sweet potatoes and have a slightly mushy texture).
- Mix chickpeas every 10 minutes.
- While potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, slice your cherry tomatoes in half and place into a bowl.
- Pour most of the parsley over the tomatoes (leaving a few sprinkles for the end), and add the lemon juice. Let marinate.
- Remove trays from the oven.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Flip potatoes on their skin and press the back of a fork into each one so a little dent forms. Add hummus to each potato, followed by the chickpeas and then the tomato mixture so that a delicious, messy mountain of vegetables forms on each potato.
- Sprinkle the remaining parsley on top.
Our mission is to nourish & transform the planet, one individual at a time, by providing the highest quality, clean, affordable, plant-based nutrition, education, and science-backed bio-technologies.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.