Enjoy the chocolate lava goodness without the overwhelming sugars and synthetic ingredients with this delicious and nutritious chocolate lava smoothie!
Get ready for a raw, vegan, creamy, superfood smoothie filled with easy-to-digest Sunwarrior plant protein and delicious flavors of chocolate and sweet berries, with hidden beets and spinach for extra energy and nutrients. Goji berries, which also offer plant protein, are super high in antioxidants and pair amazingly well with raw chocolate. Also, the hidden frozen papaya makes the smoothie extra creamy while infusing it with more enzymes for digestion and detoxification. Gracious Living Chocolate Lava Smoothie is a winner as a meal replacement, post-workout recovery drink, or even dessert.
Gracious Living Chocolate Lava Smoothie
- 1 scoop Warrior Blend chocolate protein
- 1 small raw beet, peeled & cubed
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 cup papaya (I like to cut up fresh papaya and then freeze it for smoothie use)
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tablespoons goji berries, soaked for 15 min
- Sea salt
- 1/2 cup raspberries or strawberries
- 2 to 3 cups mixture of coconut milk plus the goji berry water the goji berries were soaking in
- Handful ice
- Blend all ingredients till creamy and smooth. If you do not have a heavy duty blender like a VitaMix or BlendTec that will make your smoothies super smooth, roast your beets first (losing the rawness, but at least there’s still some nutrition), cool it, then use for blending as it will blend much smoother.
- Top with raw cacao nibs or soaked goji berries.
- Add 1 teaspoon acai powder from Navitas Naturals for extra antioxidants
- Add 1 packet cordyceps mushrooms from Four Sigma Foods for an energy boost
- Add 1 teaspoon bee pollen for an energy boost
- Use 1/2 cup cubed apple instead of raspberries
- Use a frozen banana instead of frozen papaya
Beetroot Health Benefits:
- An excellent source of iron and folate
- Helps lower high blood pressure and elevates low blood pressure
- Contains betaine, which studies have shown has significant anti-cancer properties and is effective in inhibiting the formation of cancer-causing cells in the body
- Fiber content helps with bowel movements and constipation
- Helps detoxify the liver
- Contains tryptophan, which helps relax the mind
There have been quite a few studies done investigating the effects of beetroot on athletic performance and endurance. Studies show that athletes who drank beet juice prior to exercise were able to exercise for up to 16 percent longer. The benefit is thought to be related to nitrates turning into nitric oxide, which may reduce the oxygen cost of low-intensity exercise as well as enhance tolerance to high-intensity exercise.
** Be aware! The consumption of beetroot and beetroot juice can cause a pink coloration of urine and stool. Don’t freak out!