Mixing up the typical pasta dinner with something bright, filling, and fabulous with this garlic lemon orzo with broccoli!
Let’s be honest; almost everyone has pasta at least once a week. And that’s okay! No judgment here, but it doesn’t have to be spaghetti or penne. I like to explore the different pasta variations, and found that orzo is a great option! I love that it’s somewhat the shape of rice, so it’s easy to mix with vegetables and pass off as a side instead of the main meal. I also love how great it takes on whatever flavor you add to it – like all pasta!
I love this recipe! Not only is it so incredibly simple both in preparation and flavor, but it tastes amazing! Sometimes, simple is just better. This recipe is great with a tomato basil salad on the side, some Chik’n patties, or even just a big bowl of it on its own. It’s filling, light, and oh so delicious. Not to mention, it tastes great hot, warm, or cold. You can customize this recipe to add more garlic, more lemon, or even give it a pinch of red pepper flakes for some heat! I think I’ll be bringing this to summer picnics and barbeques for years to come.
Garlic Lemon Orzo with Broccoli
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves – crushed
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pound orzo
- 2 bags (2 pounds) frozen or fresh broccoli
- ½ teaspoon Sunwarrior ancient sea salt (or to taste)
- Pepper to taste
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and set aside
- In a small sauce pot, add the olive oil and garlic and bring to a quick simmer. Then turn the heat off. Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Place orzo in a large bowl and combine with the olive oil mixture. Mix well to combine. Add Sea Salt and pepper to taste.
- Steam the broccoli until warm and tender. Mix in with the orzo and serve!