Get ready for a fast and delicious recipe full of nutrition and flavor. Give Sukuma Wiki a try!
Regardless of the leafy green you choose, collard greens and Swiss chard both have great health and nutritional benefits. They are low in fat and cholesterol and are a great source of fiber. They both contain many vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A and C, iron, calcium, and folate. These leafy greens help manage blood sugar balance in our bodies, support bone health, and provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
African Greens - Sukuma Wiki
What’s In It?
- 6 cups chopped fresh collard greens or Swiss chard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes, or Eden canned organic tomatoes when not in season, chopped
- Optional: 1 green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon spelt flour
- 1 cup water, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Topping: hemp seeds
How it’s Made:
- Pull out a saucepan and fill it with about an inch or two of water.
- Take your chopped greens and put them into a strainer about as large as the saucepan so the greens remain above the water, not in it.
- Bring the water to a boil, but turn down the heat if the water evaporates too quickly (you don’t want a super hot dry pan!). Cover and steam about 8 minutes.
- While that’s cooking, heat your olive oil in a skillet at medium heat. Add the onion, tomatoes, and, if you chose to use it, pepper and sauté them until the onion is translucent. At that point, bring the heat to low, and if the mixture is sticking, add a little more oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix well the lemon juice, flour, and half of the water.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the skillet with the sauted veggies and add the rest of the water, the cooked greens, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Turp up the heat to medium, cover, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Plate and top with hemp seeds. You can serve this as a side or a main dish. Either way, you’ll love the flavor and nutrition.
Join Our Newsletter
Did you enjoy this content? Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to receive new product announcements, special offers, tasty recipes, and tips for managing your health in all the best ways. All delivered personally and conveniently to your inbox!
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.