After harvesting your garden and taking advantage of in-season vegetables, this vegan carrot cake recipe is sure to be a hit!
The end of summer, changing of leaves, and crisp air can only signify one thing: Carrot cake time! Carrot cake has to be one of my top contenders for favorite cakes. I tend to make carrot cake when autumn has arrived.
Most carrot cakes are filled with processed sugars, fats, and unhealthy flours. Luckily, this carrot cake is vegan, gluten free, raw, and refined-sugar free. Best of all, it only takes 10 minutes to prepare! The luscious frosting is made with cashews, lemon, maple, and coconut while the cake is made with crisp carrots, crunchy walnuts, pumpkin seeds, chewy dates, and sweet coconut!
This recipe is a great way to incorporate carrots into your diet. Carrots contain a whole array of health benefits. The primary one is their supply of the beta carotene antioxidant. The human body converts beta carotene into vitamin A which is needed for healthy skin and hair, and vital for healthy vision and eyes. Carrots also have fiber which helps the body naturally cleanse itself via the colon. Carrots also help prevent cancer, reduce blood pressure, and boost the immune system! Second helping of carrot cake? Yes, please!
Vegan Carrot Cake
- 2 cups cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or liquid sweetener of choice (raw honey, coconut nectar, stevia—only use a few drops)
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 ½ cups pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Blend all frosting ingredients together except for coconut water. Start blending for 1–2 minutes, scraping the sides of your food processor or Vitamix. Use coconut water to smooth out mixture, adding only a few tablespoons at a time. Depending on the strength of your food processor, this can take up to 10 minutes to create a smooth “cream cheese” like consistency.
- Place frosting in fridge to set while you make the carrot cake
- Place all ingredients in your food processor and combine until mixture sticks together.
- Line a small spring-form pan with parchment paper and press carrot cake mixture down firmly.
Slice and serve! The cake is actually best left out for 30-45 minutes on the counter top. As it comes to room temperature, the cashew icing gets super creamy. I like to slice mine into squares and add local in season fruits.
Our mission is to nourish & transform the planet, one individual at a time, by providing the highest quality, clean, affordable, plant-based nutrition, education, and science-backed bio-technologies.
Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. We encourage you to do your own research.. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.
Share This Post
Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.